Thursday 27 December 2012

Toothy!: a new free pattern

It was right before Christmas, I was pressed for time, but I really wanted to make something for my friends' daughters. Their moms had them about the same time last summer. They hadn't met before and, actually, will probably have no recollection of me as they grow up because I'll be moving in a few months.

... So I thought it would be fun to make them similar toys. If they meet (and they might because I put their moms in touch), they'll each have a nice and somewhat mysterious souvenir of me.

Now, in more practical and less pretend fairy-godmother terms, it meant that I needed a pattern for an easy and huggable toy. I spent some time browsing Ravelry and, actually, finding very many gorgeous toys. But a lot of them involved knitting separate body parts and seaming them later, and I wasn't too keen on that. And time wasn't on my side.

And then I stumbled upon this pattern: Anything Animals by Rachel Borello Carroll, and I thought it was brilliant but decided not to knit it. Instead, I took the angular shape of the toy faces as a starting point for my own simplified bunny, Toothy.



Toothy has munchable ears and later will remind the girls to brush their teeth.
You can get my quick and easy pattern for FREE on Ravelry. It includes links to tutorials for finishing techniques and embroidery stitches that will help you embellish this quickly-made toy.

Enjoy Toothy!


No comments: