Friday 21 December 2012

Knitting beyond the end of the world, or, how I changed my mind about knitted skirts

For a long time, knitted skirts seemed to me awfully impractical. The ones I'd seen in my life were all frumpy, so it was difficult for me to imagine that I could ever like one - definitely not knit one myself.

And then, Holla Knits started coming out and Allyson Dykhuizen completely blew my mind with the New Girl skirt. This skirt is unlike any knitted skirt I had ever seen. It has such a flattering shape and POCKETS! Needless to say, I got the pattern, it's in my queue, and I already bought the yarn.

Photo from Holla Knits


In the meantime, I've decided to cast on another knitted skirt. Yes, last night was supposed to be The End of the World according to some sources, so I did two things that I hadn't anticipated:
  • swatched for socks (I haven't knit any socks so far and hadn't been too keen on the idea but I got cold)
  • cast on for the Yoked Skirt with Pockets - a fantastic FREE pattern
Pattern photo of Yoked Skirt with Pockets by Cynthia Parker


I'm modifying the Yoked Skirt for worsted yarn (the pattern is written for sport weight), lowering the elastic band a little, so that it's not at the waist but a little over the hips. I hope it works out. If not, I'll frog, it's not the end of the... oh, well.

No comments: