Monday 31 December 2012

In which I talk about my reluctance towards end of the year evaluations, WIPs, and the challenges of pattern-writing

The women in my family impressed upon me that you need to take care of all unfinished business before the end of the year. So I remember the days between December 23rd and New Year's Eve as a frantic time, and, honestly, it was stressful and it didn't need to be that crazy. I'm entering 2013 with a full laundry basket (I hope that's not TMI!) and lots of WIPs. And I'm taking a deep breath to say that's OK.

I'm also in the midst of writing up the pattern for this cardigan:


Persephone's Plaits - pattern in progress

The cardigan belongs to a cycle of - so far - mostly sketches that re-tell the story of Demeter and Persephone.

To be honest, I'm find writing it up more challenging than I had anticipated. I also imagined that my project notes were better... clean up your act, past me! But I'm working on it, hoping to make it as clear and enjoyable for my test-knitters as I can. 

The sense of community that Ravelry, Knitty, and other online resources and meeting places have helped to foster is incredible. So much exchange, support, and inspiration! In lieu of a year summary or, worse, WIP finishing, I prefer to thank everyone who's gotten in touch or responded to my messages. Thank you for making knitting more interactive and adventurous for me!

Curious about the WIPs? Here you are:

Summer in a Bag
Summer in a Bag, or my take on Scallop of the Sea by Katie Canavan. I'm proud to say that I've won the pattern in a giveaway on Katie's blog, Under the Red Umbrella. I like the pattern a lot, I'm just taking it slow as new things come up. If you need a cute bag, this one's a great pattern!

Wrzosowisko


Wrzosowisko (Polish for "heath"). Pattern: Dogwood by tincanknits. (I have a tendency to read this as Tin CAT not can - analyze me, please!) Tincanknits had a great pattern giveaway and that's how I got the pattern for this baby blanket. I'm knitting this for my own selfish domestic needs, so this is more like a grown-up lady indulgence blanket, I guess. I'm waiting for more yarn to finish it.

Wintering [worsted]
Wintering, by yours truly, resized for worsted-weight yarn and knit as a gift. More to come on this topic soon.

And, as expected...



There's also one UFO. One is not enough to take over the Earth so I'll keep mum.

HAPPY NEW KNITTING YEAR, EVERYONE!

No comments: